July is National Grill Month! And with a long streak of sunny weather around the corner, we can’t wait to get outside and grill a few burgers. However, grilling can be a dangerous endeavor. According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas grills caused an annual average of 7,200 home fires between 2007-2011, while charcoal and other types of grills caused an annual average of 1,400 home fires. Protect your family and your home from potential fire damage by following these grill safety tips.
- You should NEVER grill indoors. Not only does grilling indoors create a dangerous fire hazard, but the smoke from your grill produces poisonous carbon monoxide fumes.
- You should keep your grill away at least 15 feet away from any deck railings, low hanging branches, and your home. Between 2007-2011, United States fire departments responded to around 8,800 home and outside fires caused by grills.
- Use caution when grilling on a windy day. If the wind blows out the flame on your gas grill, immediately shut off the propane and wait to re-light.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill and open flame.
- NEVER pour gasoline or lighter fluid onto an already lit grill.
- ALWAYS have an adult watching the grill. Never leave it unattended for any period of time.
- Keep your grill clean. Remove any grease or fat buildup after cooking. Inspect your gas grill for any cracks or leaks.
If a grilling accident occurs and severely damages your home, feel free to call ServiceMaster by Ayotte. Our 24/7 emergency representatives will be waiting on the line to help. Call: (877) 945-0993.