Let’s “creep” it real everyone! Halloween is right around the corner and for young children, it’s the best night of the year! But trick-or-treating can be dangerous if kids and parents aren’t careful. Here are some safety tips so there is no “double double toil and trouble”!
- For costumes make sure to choose bright colors or have some type of reflective material so your child will be more visible in the dark.
- Make sure your child knows to only go to homes with outside lights on.
- Make a plan. Children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult and you should establish a pre-planned route for kids over 12.
- Label all clothing with name, address, and phone number in case you and your child get separated.
- Practice street safety, make sure your child knows to look both ways before crossing the street and to stay on sidewalks at all times.
- Before eating treats, inspect your child’s candy and makes sure to discard anything slightly or not wrapped, or if they have any allergies.
- Make sure to drive extra safely on Halloween – enter and exit driveways carefully, drive slowly and eliminate distractions while driving.
- Take extra time to look for children who may dart out as they are excited for the holiday!